My First week of University

Thursday 15 September 2016


This time last week I was laying in bed binge watching Stranger Things, enjoying the freedom and lack of responsibility the summer gave me. Today, I am typing this blog post in a room on the tenth floor of the hatta house, which will be my home for the next year.

Two weeks ago I moved to uni and so much has changed in that time frame. First:I moved into my dorm room! It feels so weird waking up somewhere so unfamiliar. Every time I open my eyes,I forget where I am and panic for a little, until I realize: "Anaelle this is your room now, get used to your new life".



Coming into uni, I wasn't too excited to be honest.  This was because, about a week earlier there had been an introduction / freshers week where there were a bunch of parties and activities such as visiting the campus, pub crawl and beer cantus. During that 4 day party week, I got to stay over at a sorority! It was a cool experience. Having a group of girls who would help me out whatever the problem, was pretty great. On the first day we got separated depending on the house we were sleeping in and we got to know each other over lunch and wine.

The day later, I finally got the chance to meet 15 of the people I would be spending the next three years working our asses off to get a bachelor in international communication and media. Meeting them at first was nerve wracking, then exciting, and then disappointing. It wasn't that my course mates were terrible people. It's just that due to the previous meet ups (which I had not gone to because I was on holiday), they had all already formed groups, had inside jokes and they weren't very inclusive. Also, they didn't speak English amongst themselves which didn't really help. I did socialize and make interesting acquaintances, but as someone who is quite reserved, I am not the kind of person who forces friendships and tries hard to get in a group.

So whilst they were all buddying up and , I took the chance to explore the new city I would be living in! I found cool restaurants and how to use public transport, so my time there wasn't a waste after all. Though it was a learning curve ( always find the silver lining!) at the end of it all I made no concrete bonds with anyone. I even ended up going home earlier as I got bored. Partying when you don't really have "friends" ain't much fun. I had more fun going to the beach with my cousins and sister then I had during my two days there.


So yeah, that whole experience did really excite me to starting uni. However, going to Ikea, getting me room, decorating it and making it my own made me realize; If I end up not making friends, I can just stay in my room, which won't be all too bad, because I love it!

The night of my first week there, I ordered a big pizza and brought it over to share with my roommates. Though I only met one of my two roommates. We enjoyed the pizza and ended up going to a house party on the 11th floor of our flat. I played beer pong and met a bunch of new people. The day later we then went to a mini music festival on campus. It was pretty fun actually!

The next few days was an introduction week with the staff and my course mates. We went to a bootcamp which once again was filled with introduction activities. I meet other people of my course, and met this girl who did IB as well which was pretty interesting to talk about. Other then that, I didn't connect with anyone else. Some people have already made best friends , who they continuously tag in memes ( that's when you know the friendship is real), and it makes me wonder how they've done this in the span of a week ??? 
Generally speaking uni is the place where you make life long friends, but right now it doesn't seem like that will be the case. It's only been a week so I guess we shall see!

So yeahhh, basically I love my room, my roommates are pretty great,and with the exception of one person, I have yet to find "my people". 



How was your first week of uni like?? I'd love to know! Tell me down bellow :)
x
- Anaelle 

// Bloglovin // Google + // Instagram // Twitter //

14 comments

  1. You will find your people, don't worry! The people you're seeing tagging each other in memes are probably just forcing a friendship and trying to make it lookalike they're super popular. just be yourself and you'll attract the right people :) x

    Stephanie // www.stephiebeau.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you love your room and roommates- finding "your people" will take time though! So great and insightful reading about your uni experience lovely X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your room looks amazing!! As someone who never went to uni, I loved reading about your experience! Don't worry about finding your people, it will all fall into place, just enjoy each day as it comes!

    Jessica
    foodandbaker.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed your first week. And your room looks SO much nicer than mine (not fair!). Don't worry about not finding "your people", you will have plenty of time and opportunities. If you find the hobbies/societies/activities YOU love, you will find people that are more similar that way :) Good luck! Enjoy xox

    Nadia | http://psychologyfoodandfitness.blogspot.co.uk <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I bet your room looks nice too! Thanks for the advice! Good luck to you as well x

      Delete
  5. Your dorms look amazing! Glad you're enjoying it xx

    http://thisissimplyme.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never went to uni sometimes I really regret it as I read and see things and I love how people do their dorm rooms

    Tasha x

    http://itsatashathing.blogspot.com/2016/09/itsatashathing-zoella-apartment-trip_11.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will find the right people for you lovely! And I love how your dorm looks like. It has been my first week back to school and it has been pretty great at the moment.

    Sofia | www.theglamchapter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad to hear that you're first week of school has been great :) x

      Delete